Home News SA v ENG 1st ODI abandoned

SA v ENG 1st ODI abandoned

The first ODI between South Africa and England has been abandoned after two hotel members tested positive for COVID-19.

Two England members are reportedly said to be tested positive for the virus as well. The players and management are self isolating in the hotel as the tour’s future is under clouds.

Also Read – Sarfaraz back in Pakistan squad for T20Is

Just around an hour before the start of play, news came out that two positive cases among the hotel staff at Vineyard hotel, where the teams are staying. The ECB (England and Wales Cricket Board) and CSA (Cricket South Africa) had decided to delay the scheduled start of 10:00 am. None of the teams arrived at the ground.

A joint release from CSA and ECB said, “The England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) and Cricket South Africa (CSA) have agreed to delay the start time for today’s One-Day International match, which is due to take place in Paarl. 

“The England players and management underwent an additional round of PCR tests on Saturday evening, after two members of the hotel staff testing positive for COVID-19.

“Whilst the ECB awaits ratification of those test results the decision has been taken to delay the start of today’s ODI match.”

It was later decided the match would be abandoned.

Roy Davies, manager of Vineyard hotel, has said that investigations are going on to find out how the virus came into attack amid the bubble.

“Neither have left the bio-secure area since November 16 and they do not work on the same team or in the same area. Our Covid response team is endeavouring to establish all the facts and contact tracing is underway. Our number one priority is the safety and wellbeing of our staff and guests and we have placed all our resources and efforts into investigating and resolving the situation,” Davies said.

“Both members of staff and a player who also tested positive on Friday are currently isolated in on-site apartments some distance from the hotel which have been kept sterilised and available for this purpose. We will issue further statements as more facts become available.”

England are due to play 2nd and 3rd ODIs in Cape Town on Monday and Wednesday before leaving on Thursday (December 10) via a chartered flight.  

On Friday, the previously scheduled first ODI was postponed after a third positive case from South African camp.

(function(d, s, id) {
var js, fjs = d.getElementsByTagName(s)[0];
if (d.getElementById(id)) return;
js = d.createElement(s);
js.id = id;
js.src = “http://connect.facebook.net/en_US/sdk.js#xfbml=1&version=v2.5”;
fjs.parentNode.insertBefore(js, fjs);
}(document, ‘script’, ‘facebook-jssdk’));